Sunday, March 16, 2008

Minneapolis, MN

Today I encountered Marilyn in Minneapolis, MN. The encounter sounds typical to the experiences of others. It began quite simply with nice conversation about where she might find a restaurant. She explained that she was from California and didn't know the areas all that well. She asked if she might have a ride and get dropped off, to which I obliged. While driving her to her requested drop-ff point, a mall in Minnetonka, she explained that she was on her way to Washington D.C. to lobby the Supreme Court. At no point during the drive did we discuss the topic(s) that she was advocating for. Conversation mostly focused on her travels and appeared quite coherent. After dropping her off, she thanked me and gave me a copy of her letter. Not having the opportunity to read it until I was done driving, it would be an understatement to say I was astonished. Had I read her letter prior to dropping her off, I would have suggested a stop at the psychiatric hospital.

0 comments: