Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Nandan, ND

I had the pleasure of running into Marilyn in Mandan, ND at the Post Office. I had just gotten into my car and she was waving at me, so I waved back, then she ran up to my window, so I rolled it down. She said, "Honey, can you give me a ride to Burger King", I replied "Sure". I asked her where she was from and she said she was an activist fighting for people's rights. Intrigued, because I also fight for human rights for my job, I asked her to explain. She talked about fighting for black rights and lobbying in Washington, DC and at the time it all seemed to make enough sense to me. She did have a piece of paper taped to the back of her coat and on her suitcase. She asked for money when we got to Burger King, so I gave her a few dollars. She kept telling me about these papers she would give me to read. I was suprised when I read the content. She didn't seem mentally ill to me when we talked, but she obviously is. I hope she gets the help she needs.

0 comments: